What is clear health communication?
- What is health literacy?
- How prevalent is low health literacy?
- What is clear health communication?
- How does health literacy affect patients' health?
Although definitions of health literacy emphasize individual abilities, health literacy is really about the interaction between individuals and the health care environment. Thus, health care professionals have a responsibility to communicate information in a way that is more readily understood by the average consumer. This is clear health communication.
Clear health communication involves several techniques, such as
- avoiding medical jargon
- focusing on just a few key pieces of information
- engaging patients effectively in the discussion
- confirming their comprehension
Unfortunately, clear health communication is not the norm in most medical discussions, though it should be.