Our sales representatives spend significant amounts of time driving and are at risk of being involved in road traffic incidents. At the end of 2011, Pfizer had approximately 33,000 cars and 3,000 motorcycles worldwide covering over 825 million miles per year (and representing twice the amount an average person drives).
In particular, we aim to:
- Help ensure that our colleagues are among the safest drivers on the road. We do this through creating better awareness and helping our colleagues improve.
- Reduce risk to our colleagues and those with whom we share the road.
- Educate our colleagues worldwide about driving risks including distractions while driving.
Notable actions we are taking to safeguard our sales colleagues and those that share the roads with them include:
- Implementing a Global Fleet Safety Standard and providing a structured support system that helps to provide a platform globally.
- Providing safety guidance for colleagues where we provide motorcycles.
- Improving driving performance and measures for success.
- Ensuring the entire Pfizer fleet is safely selected, maintained, and inspected.
Recent performance achievements include:
- Over a 50% reduction in motor vehicle collisions in the United States – the first country to launch its fleet safety program (2008-09).
- Creation of a global dashboard and goals to help reduce collisions worldwide (2009). Enabled a global management system that provides a platform of tools and resources to build a consistent program, enabling countries to tailor their programs to local markets (2010).
- An 80% roll-out of the global fleet safety program in countries with large and medium-sized vehicles (end of 2011).
- Launched our first fleet safety motorcycle program in Pakistan (2011).