- South Africa
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
Our Environmental Sustainability Focus Areas
Comprehensive assessments let Pfizer recognize environmental efforts that are important to stakeholders and that can drive business success. Internal interviews, external benchmarking, best practice reviews and value proposition evaluation led to three key strategic priorities:
- Helping mitigate climate change and its impacts
- Leading product stewardship efforts
- Sustaining access to potable water
Pfizer listens to a wide range of voices to understand concerns and expectations for a global company of our scale. We consider socially responsible investors, non-government agencies, multilateral organizations, governments, shareholders and the public at large. For a full picture, we also assess public policy, UN Millennium Development Goals, Global Reporting Initiative guidelines and media coverage. We plan to develop and follow a comprehensive environmental stakeholder engagement plan.
To understand the potential value proposition for the business, the comprehensive assessment included alignment with Pfizer's Path Forward strategic priorities:
- Optimize the patent portfolio
- Find and capitalize on new opportunities for established products
- Grow in emerging markets
- Grow our diversified businesses
- Instill a culture of innovation and continuous improvement
- Learn about our efforts to reduce greenhouse gases and address climate change
- Learn about our Product Stewardship Program
- Learn more about Pfizer's water use
- See how we manage our environmental footprint
- Learn more about Pfizer's Journey to Environmental Sustainability on YouTube.
- Watch a video about Pfizer's commitment to renewable energy projects.
- Watch a video about Pfizer's commitment to reducing our carbon footprint.
"There is an urgent need to move toward a sustainable global economy and Pfizer, as one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world, has a unique role to play in driving this change.
Pfizer should accelerate its efforts to reduce its impacts, from climate change to water to toxins as this ultimately affects the people that are at the core of Pfizer's business. Pfizer should build upon its existing carbon reduction commitments and demonstrate leadership by actively supporting national and global climate policy.
Energy and water go hand-in-hand. One of the most disruptive results of climate change will be water scarcity and declining water quality, the impacts of which will be felt most by vulnerable populations of emerging economies. There is nothing more critical to good health than access to clean water and Pfizer has an opportunity to take the lead by developing a comprehensive water strategy. This will help the company to first understand its water footprint and then to set goals to minimize impacts and to prepare for potential business risks."
Andrea Moffat – Senior Director of Corporate Program, CERES