Pfizer encourages proper disposal of unused medicines. Actions to reduce improper disposal of expired or unwanted prescription and non-prescription medicines lessens the potential for diversion, reduces the potential for improper use of medication, and helps protect our water. Although studies have indicated that only a small portion of medicines enter the environment through waste disposal, it is important to consider impact from all sources. Through education and awareness programs, Pfizer works with regulatory agencies, the broader health care community and the public to better understand the potential impacts associated with the improper disposal of unused medicines.
In particular, we aim to:
- Significantly reduce the potential for the release of active pharmaceutical ingredients to the environment.
Notable actions we undertake in managing unused medicines include:
- Partnering with other pharmaceutical companies and government agencies to support unused medicine disposal through SMARxT Disposal.
- Supporting voluntary, community collection programs involving law enforcement.
- Educating patients and families on proper disposal and methods to securing medicines.
- Supporting patient advocacy organizations that address abuse concerns associated with unused medicines.