You are here
Waste and Recycling
Environmental stewardship includes managing waste in a responsible manner. Pfizer takes a multi-faceted approach by focusing on source reduction, waste minimization, and recycling improvements. Typically this is done at both the site and regional level by establishing targets to reduce the generation of solid waste and to reuse solvents through recovery processes.
With the establishment of Pfizer's Green Journey, the company is taking a more holistic approach to managing waste by minimizing the environmental impact of our products and processes across the supply chain and life cycle of our products.
In particular, we aim to:
- Decrease waste generated through source reduction activities.
- Improve recycling methods.
- Effectively manage waste generated to reduce its potential impact on health and the environment.
- Choose responsible waste vendors to manage our waste.
Notable actions we're undertaking to meet our waste and recycling goals include:
- Applying green chemistry principles in research, development and manufacturing processes;
- Exploring means to reuse, recover, or recycle solvents;
- Developing action plans to capitalize on waste minimization opportunities;
- Supporting waste reduction and recycling efforts across our supply chain; and
- Conducting pre-selection waste vendor audits and subsequent assessments to ensure standards are being met.
Recent performance achievements include:
- Reduction in packaging and source materials across many of our products;
- Comprehensive regional recycling program at our sites located in Puerto Rico;
- Waste vendor consolidation across many of our European sites, reducing cost and improving efficiency; and
- Significantly reducing solvents used in, and waste generated from, our manufacturing processes by implementing green chemistry principles.
View Performance Metrics
Read more about Pfizer's Waste and Recycling initiatives.