You are here
Pearl River, NY
- Pfizer Global Manufacturing: Specialty Care/Biotech
- Pfizer Global Research and Development: Vaccine Research; Oncology Research Unit-East
- 550-acre site in Rockland County, N.Y.
- 2.9-million-square-feet under roof: 28 buildings, eight miles of roadway, five ponds
- Products Manufactured: Prevnar® 7v and Prevnar 13™, Mylotarg®
Pfizer Pearl River is one of Pfizer's five primary research sites and a central hub for Vaccine and BioTherapeutics research. Vaccine Research develops first-in-class and best-in-class vaccines to protect the public health and prevent disease. Oncology Research Unit-East creates transformational medicines for cancer and other complex diseases related to inflammation and neurodegeneration.
The Pearl River facility produces the Prevnar vaccine. According to a World Health Organization (WHO) 2002 estimate, pneumococcal disease is the leading cause of vaccine-preventable death worldwide in children younger than 5 years. Pneumococcal disease is complex and describes a group of illnesses, all caused by the bacterium S. pneumoniae. It includes invasive infections such as bacteremia/sepsis and meningitis.