You are here

Why are some medicines so expensive today?

Nearly 90% of prescriptions are for generic medicines. The other 10% are more expensive because they’re for newer, innovative medicines—many of which are for serious, hard-to-treat conditions.

The innovative medicines we provide today allow us to continue to invest in the development of new and promising treatments for tomorrow.

Innovative medicines become generic after a certain period of time. This is why we have lower-cost, effective options for treating conditions like heart disease and depression today. In the future, as more innovative medicines become generic, lower-cost options will extend to cancer, rheumatoid arthritis and other diseases.

  • In the past 12 months alone, 70 million Americans (almost 1 in every 3 adults) took a generic version of Pfizer’s innovative medicines.

Download PDF