About Pfizer's Green Journey
The path toward environmentally sound business practices begins with a better understanding of our environmental footprint, it's impact, and how it's changing. We take a collaborative entrepreneurial approach to sustainability practices that produce measurable value for our business and society.
An Environmental Sustainability Council governs our "green journey" program and focuses on three areas key to our business: helping to mitigate climate change and its impacts; minimizing the environmental impact of our products and processes by advancing stewardship across the supply chain and life cycle of our products; and managing water resources in a sustainable way. We address these areas through our Environmental Sustainability Program and develop integrated and strategic approaches by setting near-term and long-term priorities for environmental activities:
- With guidance from business partners;
- Engaging with our colleagues; and
- Communicating with stakeholders on key issues.
Actions underway include:
Energy and Climate Change: We continue to actively reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by increasing our energy efficiency and implementing clean energy projects where they make good business and environmental sense. This goes beyond Pfizer facilities to include rethinking the cars and routes used by our sales force and having a better understanding of our extended footprint. Our goal is to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions 20% from 2012 to 2020, building on successful past reductions of 20% from 2000 to 2007, and 25% from 2007 to 2012.
Greener Processes: We seek to minimize the potential impact our products can have – from discovery through to use and disposal. As part of this, we look for innovative ways to reduce our packaging and waste, and additional opportunities to recycle. Our 2020 goal is to reduce the amount of waste we dispose by 15% compared with 2012.
- Cleaner Water: We continue to assess our global water footprint,decrease water use, and reuse water through water recycling, when possible. Our 2020 goal is to reduce our water use by 5% compared to 2012.
Pfizer aims to use our global presence and scale to address these issues and ultimately make a difference in local communities and the world.
As a demonstration of this commitment, we strive to:
- Support, enhance, and engage the local communities where we operate.
- Set a new industry standard of excellence for protecting and improving the world that we are a part of.
- Drive strategic environmental actions that deliver measurable social and business value.