- Male or female aged 68 years or older
- Determined by medical history, physical examination, and clinical judgment to be
eligible for the study
- Documented vaccination with 1 or more doses of pneumococcal vaccine at least 3 years
before study enrollment
- Known history of severe reaction to a vaccine
- Documented S pneumoniae infection within the past 5 years.
- Known or suspected immunodeficiency or receiving treatment with immunosuppressive
therapy including cytotoxic agents or systemic corticosteroids
- Serious chronic disorder including metastatic malignancy, severe chronic obstructive
pulmonary disease requiring supplemental oxygen, end-stage renal disease with or
without dialysis, clinically unstable cardiac disease, or any other disorder that in
the investigator's opinion precludes the subject from participating in the study.