- BMI less or equal to 39 kg/m2
- Osteoarthritis (arthritis) of the knee or hip with pain score that qualifies
- Willing to comply with study visit schedule and study requirements, including, for
women of child-bearing potential or male patients with female partners of
child-bearing potential, the use of 2 forms of birth control, one of which is a
- Patients must consent in writing to participate in the study.
- Untreated, uncontrolled diseases,
- Unwilling or unable to discontinue the use of prohibited medications, including other
pain medications, during the screening period and during the study,
- Significant cardiac disease within the past 6 months
- Significant neurological disease (e.g. peripheral neuropathy, multiple sclerosis,
stroke) or signs of neuropathy at screening
- Known bleeding disorder or anticoagulation therapy
- Planned surgery during the study period
- History of alcoholism or drug abuse in the past 2 years
- Unable to use acetaminophen
- Use of a biologic (including live vaccines, with the exception of Flumist) within the
past 3 months
- Allergic reaction to a biologic or an antibody in the past
- Disqualifying laboratory values, including Hepatitis B or C, HIV or drug test
- Cancer in the past 5 years. Basal cell or squamous cell carcinoma are okay.
- Medical condition that may interfere with study endpoints or safety of the subject as
determined by the investigator.