- Diagnosis of probable Alzheimer Disease according to the National Institute of
Neurological and Communicative Disorders and Stroke-Alzheimer's Diseases and Related
Disorders Association (NINCDS-ADRDA) criteria.
- Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) score of 12 to 24 at screening
- Rosen Modified Hachinski Ischemic score
- Relevant neurologic disease other than Alzheimer Disease that may affect cognition or
ability to complete the study.
- Current major depressive disorder or other current major psychiatric disorder.
- History of clinically evident stroke or clinically important carotid or
vertebrobasilar stenosis or plaque.
- Use of prescription or nonprescription medications for cognitive enhancement
(including memantine, ginkgo biloba, huperzine A, and cholinesterase inhibitors)
within 3 months before the baseline visit.