- Medications allowed under a Treatment IND program.
Patients must have:
- HIV infection.
- Disseminated Mycobacterium avium Complex.
- Fever (> 100 degrees F) that cannot be attributed to another active infection, and at
least one other constitutional symptom (such as fatigue, malaise, anorexia).
- Life expectancy of at least the duration of the study.
- Consent of parent or guardian if below the legal age of consent.
Patients with the following symptoms and conditions are excluded:
- Known hypersensitivity or significant intolerance to macrolide antibiotics.
- Inability to take oral medications or a current condition likely to interfere with
drug absorption (e.g., gastrectomy).
- Treatment with an immunostimulant or immunomodulator compound such as
alpha-interferon, gamma-interferon, or any interleukin within 7 days prior to study
- Any other antibiotic with known activity against M. avium within 7 days prior to
Not expected to comply with the requirements of the protocol, in the opinion of the