Patients must have:
- HIV seropositivity.
- Disseminated MAC.
- No MAC therapy between time of last positive blood culture draw and study entry
(single-agent prophylaxis allowed).
- Life expectancy of at least 2 months.
- Consent of parent or guardian if below legal age of consent.
Patients with the following symptoms or conditions are excluded:
- Known hypersensitivity to macrolide antibiotics (erythromycin, azithromycin, or
clarithromycin) or ethambutol.
- Inability to take oral medications.
- Condition likely to interfere with drug absorption (e.g., gastrectomy, malabsorption
- Another investigational drug started in the week prior to study entry.
- MAC therapy between time of last positive blood culture draw and study entry
(although single-agent prophylaxis is allowed).