- Anti-pneumocystis prophylactic therapy (dihydropteroate synthetase inhibitors with or
without dihydrofolate reductase inhibitors, pentamidine).
- Concomitant anti-HIV therapy (AZT, ddI, ddC) or antifungal therapy (including azoles).
Patients must have:
- HIV infection.
- CD4 count
- No MAC positive blood cultures within 1 month prior to study entry.
- No symptoms suggestive of disseminated MAC infection (including unexplained diarrhea,
fever, and night sweats) within 1 month of study entry.
Patients with the following symptoms or conditions are excluded:
- Positive PPD within 3 months prior to study entry (negative PPD defined as induration).
- Chest x-ray suggestive of any active disease, in particular tuberculosis.
- Known hypersensitivity to macrolide antibiotics.
- Any other acute clinical condition likely to interfere with completion of the
- Inability to care for self without considerable assistance and medical care.
- Other investigational new drugs (except for foscarnet or ddC) unless prior agreement
has been reached between the investigator and the Pfizer project physician.
- Concomitant putative immunostimulants.
Patients with the following prior conditions are excluded:
History of MAC or Mycobacterium tuberculosis (MTb) infection.
Excluded within the past 4 weeks:
- Any putative anti-MAC therapies including rifampin, rifabutin, clofazimine,
ethambutol, cycloserine, ethionamide, amikacin, and ciprofloxacin or other quinolones
thought to be active against MAC.