Patients must have:
- AIDS or other immunocompromising condition.
- Candidal esophagitis.
- Life expectancy of at least 2 months.
Patients with the following symptoms or conditions are excluded:
- Evidence of non-candidal systemic fungal infection.
- Abnormalities that may preclude esophagoscopy or endoscopy.
- Unable to tolerate fluconazole.
- Unable to give informed consent.
- Enrollment in other experimental trials of approved or non-approved drugs or systemic
compounds (unless approved by the Pfizer Clinical Monitor).
- Other condition that would make patient unsuitable for enrollment.
- Concomitant oral or topical antifungal agent.
- Other experimental medications.
Patients with the following prior condition are excluded:
History of allergy to imidazoles or azoles.
- Any oral or topical antifungal therapy within the past 3 days. Active use of illicit
or illegal drugs.