ABOUT THIS STUDY
- Patients must have cytologically/histologically documented solid tumor malignancies
- Age > 18 years old
- Patients must have ECOG performance status 0-2
- Patients must be able to give informed consent and able to follow guidelines given in the study
- The patient has no major impairment of hematological function, as defined by the following laboratory parameters: WBC >3.0x109/L; ANC > 1.5 x 109/L; Hgb >9.0g/dL; PLT >100x109/L (untransfused). Red blood cell transfusions and repeat evaluations for study entry are allowed
- All patients of reproductive potential must use an effective method of contraception during the study and six months following termination of treatment. (Not applicable to patients with bilateral oophorectomy and/or hysterectomy or to female patients who are older than 50 years and have not had a menstrual cycle in more than one year.
- Patients must have measurable or evaluable disease by staging studies performed within 4 weeks of enrollment (evaluable disease refers to ovarian cancer with an elevated CA-125 or prostate cancer with elevated PSA only)
- Once MTD for VPA and epirubicin is reached, the trial will be limited to patients with breast cancer
- At the MTD for VPA and FEC MTD for the trial will be expanded to 15 patients with advanced (inflammatory, Stage >IIIB or regional stage IV) or metastatic breast cancer.
- Patients must have biopsiable disease and be willing to undergo pre and post-VPA biopsies in cycle 1; Patients must have measurable disease, Patients from the last cohort may be included if they were biopsied
- Patients may not have had cumulative anthracycline exposure greater than doxorubicin
300 mg/m2 or epirubicin 600 mg/m2.
- Patients must not have evidence of significant active infection (e.g., pneumonia,
cellulitis, wound abscess, etc.) at time of study entry.
- Patients must have adequate renal and normal hepatic function (creatinine < 1.5 x
upper limit of normal (ULN), bilirubin and SGOT (AST), SGPT (ALT) within 1.5 x the
upper institutional normal limits) obtained within 4 weeks prior to registration.
- Pregnant and breast feeding women are excluded from the study because effects on the
fetus are unknown and there may be a risk of increased fetal wastage.
- Women of childbearing age must have a negative pregnancy test and be willing to use a
highly effective method of contraception. Men who are sexually active must also be
willing to use an accepted and effective method of contraception.
- Patients taking anti-arrhythmic medication or with a history of cardiac failure or
with ejection fraction £ 50 % are excluded. Patients with a history of long QT
syndrome are excluded from study. Patients with a history of ventricular tachycardia
or fibrillation are also excluded. Patients must have normal sinus rhythm and normal
PR and QT intervals on EKG.
- Patients with uncontrolled CNS metastasis or a history of seizures are excluded.
Patients with stable CNS metastasis (either surgically resected, treated with gamma
knife or stable for 3 months following WBRT are eligible)
- Patients with stable brain metastases will need an MRI within 4 weeks prior to start
TRY A NEW SEARCH
Search for Clinical Trials by condition, keyword or trial number. Share your location or enter your city or zip code to find studies near you.
Based on your search, you may also be interested in
- Tampa, Florida