- Previously diagnosed, or newly diagnosed essential hypertension. Blood pressure must
be within a minimum and maximum range prior to drug treatment.
- Inability to discontinue all prior antihypertensive medications
- Heart failure
- History of stroke, myocardial infarction, or chest pain within 3 years, or an abnormal
- Liver or kidney disease
- Certain drugs used to treat other conditions like an enlarged prostate gland, or
- Allergy or reactions to certain medications used to treat high blood pressure
Other protocol-defined inclusion and exclusion criteria apply.