- Males and females, 18 years or older
- Confirmed enzymatic diagnosis of Gaucher disease
- Splenomegaly defined as greater than eight times the expected volume (measured volume
divided by estimated volume (0.2% of body weight)] as determined by MRI volumetric
- Female patients of child-bearing potential who agree to use a medically acceptable
method of contraception
- Thrombocytopenia (defined as platelet counts below the lower limit of normal) and/or
anemia (defined by hemoglobin level at least 1 g/dL below normal range according to
sex and age).
- Patients who have not received ERT in the past or patients whoc have not received ERT
in the past 12 months and have a negative anti-glucocerebrosidase antibody test.
- Patients who have not received substrate reduction therapy (SRT) in the past 12
- Ability to provide a written informed consent.
- Currently taking another experimental drug for any condition
- Pregnant or nursing
- Presence of HIV and/or, HBsAg and/or hepatitis C infections
- Presence of severe neurological signs and symptoms, defined as complete ocular
paralysis, overt myoclonus or history of seizures, characteristic of neuronopathic
- Previous anaphylactoid reaction to Cerezyme® or Ceredase®.
- History of allergy to carrots.