- Age 55 or older.
- Acute fracture of the proximal femur: displaced femoral neck fracture or unstable
intertrochanteric femur fracture.
- Anatomic reduction (open or closed) and internal fixation within 48 hours following
injury using any one of the following fixation constructs: 1) multiple parallel
interfragmentary screws; 2) sliding hip screw and side plate fixation; or 3)
- Concurrent fractures of the ipsilateral or contralateral lower extremity that would
impede performance on functional assessments.
- Previous arthroplasty of contralateral (unaffected) hip.
- Planned procedure(s) to stimulate fracture healing after internal fixation of the