- Diagnosis of AS (defined by Modified New York Criteria for Ankylosing Spondylitis).
- Active AS (defined by the average of scores on the visual analog scale [VAS] of ≥ 30
for duration and intensity of morning stiffness and by 2 of the following: VAS for
patient global assessment ≥ 30; average of VAS for nocturnal and total pain ≥ 30;
BASFI ≥ 30 (all scores on a scale of 0 to 100).
- 18 to 70 years of age.
- Complete ankylosis (fusion) of spine.
- Previous receipt of etanercept, antibody to tumour necrosis factor alpha (TNF?), or
other TNF? inhibitors.
- Use of disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) other than hydroxychloroquine,
sulphasalazine, or methotrexate within 4 weeks of baseline.