- Diagnosis of AS, as defined by Modified New York Criteria for Ankylosing Spondylitis,
aged between 18 and 70 years of age.
- BASDAI greater than or equal to 40 (all scores on a scale of 0 to 100).
- Negative result of serum human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) pregnancy test taken at
screening in all women except those surgically sterile or at least 1 year
- Complete ankylosis (fusion) of spine.
- Previous receipt of etanercept, antibody to TNF?, or other TNF? inhibitors.
- Use of disease modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) other than hydroxychloroquine,
sulphasalazine, and methotrexate within 4 weeks of baseline. Patients treated with
hydroxychloroquine, sulphasalazine, and methotrexate may continue these drugs during
this study but doses must be held stable for 4 weeks before baseline examination and
for the duration of the study.