- The subject will have elective total abdominal hysterectomy using a transverse
incision with or without bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. The total hysterectomy may,
however, be cervix-sparing.
- The subject is expected to remain at the hospital (or intermediate care facility) for
a minimum of 2 days following surgery.
- The subject's preoperative health is graded as the American Society of
Anesthesiologist P1 to P2.
- Subjects having vaginal hysterectomy (whether laparoscopically assisted or not)
- Subjects having additional procedures (such as those involving the bladder) at the
same time as the total abdominal hysterectomy
- The use of nerve block, spinal anesthesia or epidural anesthesia for post-surgical
- Subjects who have been using any opioid medications 2 weeks or more continuously
within 3 months prior to the screening visit.
- The subject has taken any NSAID or any analgesic other than acetaminophen within 3
days prior to surgery or is unwilling to abstain from NSAIDs or other analgesics,
except as specified in the protocol, during the study. (Subjects taking day of aspirin at a stable dose for at least 30 days before the first dose of study
medication will be allowed to continue their aspirin regimen for the duration of the