- Males or females, 18 -65 years of age
- Major depressive disorder based on DSM-IV criteria
- The baseline score of 17-item HAM-D³17
- Switchers from prior antidepressants, who have had no satisfactory improvement
(normally after a minimum of 8weeks of treatment), with an approved antidepressant
medication or have experienced intolerance due to side effects to their antidepressant
medication based on clinical discretion
- Provide written informed consent
- If female is of childbearing potential, must be confirmed no pregnancy at baseline,
and use a medically acceptable method of contraception throughout the study.
- Hypersensitivity to venlafaxine;
- Clinically significant renal or hepatic disease or any other medical disease that, in
the opinion of the investigator, might compromise the study, including seizure
- Alcohol or drug abuse within the last year
- A recent history of myocardial infarction or unstable heart disease (within 6 months
- Bipolar disorder
- For female, known or suspected pregnancy or breast feeding
- Use of a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) within 14 days of baseline; use of any
investigational drug within 30 days of baseline.
- Patients have prior use of venlafaxine or use of venlafaxine for the current episode.