- Clinically relevant causative isolate (no duplicates) - The isolate must meet the
laboratory criteria of "significant pathogen" and be considered the "probable
causative agent" of a hospital or community acquired infection.
- Sources - All body sites are acceptable clinical sources for isolates to be included
in this study (Intra-abdominal infection, tracheal secretion/bronchoalveolar lavage,
blood culture, wound smear). However, no more than 10 % of all isolates can come from
- Within study group - Only isolates defined by the protocol are to be included.
- Limited isolates from sources - No more than 10 % of all isolates from this study will
be derived from urine cultures.
- No banked or stored isolates.
- No duplicate isolates - Only one isolate per patient is permitted.
- Outside study group - Any isolate other than those defined by protocol.