- Subjects (male or female) must be > 18 years of age, with a diagnosis of epilepsy with
partial seizures, as defined in the International League Against Epilepsy (ILAE)
classification of seizures.
- Partial seizures may be simple or complex, with or without secondary tonic-clonic
- Subjects must be have been diagnosed with epilepsy for at least 2 years, and must have
been unresponsive to treatment with at least two but no more than five prior
antiepileptic drugs (AEDs), and at the time of study enrollment are on stable dosages
of 1 or 2 standard AEDs.
- Females who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or intend to become pregnant during the
course of the trial will be excluded
- Subjects with other neurologic illness that could impair endpoint assessment, or
subjects with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, absence seizures, status epileptics within the
12 months prior to trial entry, or with seizures due to an underlying medical illness
or metabolic syndrome, will be excluded.