- Patients meeting criteria for a diagnosis of major depression, single or recurrent
episode as described by the DSM-IV manual (appendix 1).
- A HAM-D 17 total score of at least 16 at baseline (DSM-IV manual, appendix 2).
- Patients above 18 years of age who meet the eligibility requirements.
- Patients taking MAOI's within 2 weeks prior to the survey.
- Patients known to be suffering from bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.
- Patients who are treatment-resistant, i.e., in the past 3 years have failed (a) three
previous adequate trials of greater than or equal to 2 classes of antidepressant
medication, or (b) electroconvulsive therapy.
- Drug or alcohol dependence or abuse in the past 6 months per DSM IV criteria.