ABOUT THIS STUDY
- Male or female patient 18 years of age and older.
- If female, must be post-menopausal, surgically sterile or using adequate contraception,not lactating, and have a negative urine or blood pregnancy test at screening, prior to administration of study medication.
- Presence of candidemia (positive blood culture) or invasive candidiasis (histopathologic or cytopathologic examination of a needle aspiration or biopsy specimen from a normally sterile site excluding mucous membranes showing yeast cells) obtained within the prior 96 hours to study entry ((informed consent provided).
- Presence of one or more of the following signs and symptoms of acute fungal infection within the prior 48 hours to initiation of study treatment:
- Fever defined as oral temperature greater than or equal to 38 degrees C (100.4 degrees F); rectal or core temperature greater than or equal to 38.6 degrees C (101.4 degrees F), or axillary temperature greater than or equal to 37.5 degrees Celsius (99.5 degrees F). Hypothermia defined as rectal or core temperature less than 36.0 degrees C (96.8 degrees F).
- Hypotension (systolic blood pressure [SBP] less than 100 mmHg, or SBP decrease greater than or equal to 30 mm Hg from baseline.
- Localized signs and symptoms of inflammation (swelling, heat, erythema or purulence at a site infected with Candida spp.).
- Patient is classified in one of following categories based on previous antifungal treatment: received less than 48 hours of previous systemic antifungal therapy and no more than a single dose of echinocandin therapy prior to study entry; intolerant to infusion related toxicities of amphotericin B preparations despite appropriate supportive measures or serum creatinine increased by >1.5 mg/dl while receiving conventional or lipid amphotericin B therapy; or lack of clinical response and/or persistent positive blood culture after at least seven days of systemic antifungal treatment with a polyene or fluconazole at an adequate dose.
- APACHE II 9 score < 25 at study entry.
- Patients willing and able to give informed consent, or have a legally authorized representative willing to give informed consent on the patients behalf.
- Expected survival (in the opinion of the investigator) greater than 4 days.
- Hypersensitivity to anidulafungin, other echinocandins or azoles.
- Participation presently or within the last 30 days in a trial with other
investigational drug(s). Patients on antiretroviral or chemotherapy regimens which
include an investigational drug may participate provided that there has been no change
in their therapy during the past 4 weeks and no change in treatment is anticipated
during study participation.
- Chronic refractory neutropenia defined as absolute neutrophils count <500 cells/mm3
for 28 days prior to the baseline visit.
- Confirmed or suspected Candida osteomyelitis, endocarditis or meningitis.
- Poor venous access that would preclude IV drug delivery or multiple blood draws.
- Prosthetic devices at a suspected site of infection unless the device is removed
within 24 hours of study entry.
- Fungal endophthalmitis confirmed by fundoscopy.
- Other severe acute or chronic medical or psychiatric condition or laboratory
abnormality that may increase the risk associated with trial participation or
investigational product administration that may interfere with the interpretation of
trial results and, in the judgment of the investigator, would make the Patient
inappropriate for entry into this trial.
TRY A NEW SEARCH
Search for Clinical Trials by condition, keyword or trial number. Share your location or enter your city or zip code to find studies near you.
Based on your search, you may also be interested in
- Brasilia, DF
- Curitiba, PR
- Rio de Janeiro, RJ
- Porto Alegre, RS
- Porto Alegre, RS
- Sao Jose do Rio Preto, SP
- Independencia, Santiago, RM
- Bogota DC, Cundinamarca
- Cali, Valle Del Cauca
- Leon, Guanajuato
- Guadalajara, Jalisco
- San Luis Potosi,