- The subject will have elective ( the subject chooses, but does not have to undergo
surgery for an emergency) open unilateral inguinal herniorraphy (hernia repair),
using mesh Lichtenstein surgery procedure and under general anesthesia and fentanyl
or sufentanil/propofol initiation and sevoflurane or isoflurane maintenance plus
local anesthetic infiltration at the conclusion of surgery. Study surgery should be
anticipated to be in the morning.
- Expected to be able to use and tolerate non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (such
as naproxen), tramadol, oxycodone, and acetaminophen/paracetamol for pain control
- The subject will be available for a visit within 72 hours of the day of surgery if
not admitted the night before for baseline assessments before taking any study
medication, and then to receive study medication prior to the day before surgery.
- The subject is expected and agrees to remain at the hospital (or intermediate care
facility) for a minimum of 3 hours following surgery.
- Subjects with non elective or emergency surgery (must have the surgery no matter
what), or hernia with incarceration (the trapping of abdominal contents within the
- Subjects with hernia repair that is not a primary repair. The planned use of nerve
block or spinal/epidural/paravertebral anesthesia or surgery is not planned with
- Subjects that are not allowed to receive the anesthesia agents indicated per protocol
and general anesthesia.