- Male or female of any race, at least 18 years of age.
- Patients must have pain present for more than 3 months after healing of the herpes
zoster skin rash.
- Has a pain score at screening that qualifies.
- Completes at least 3 average daily pain diaries during the 3 days prior to
randomization and has an average pain level that qualifies.
- Body Mass Index less than or equal to 39 kg/m2.
- If female, is post-menopausal, surgically sterile, or uses adequate contraception
consisting of 2 forms of birth control, one of which must be barrier method, is not
lactating, and is not breastfeeding.
- Male patients must agree that female spouses/partners will use contraception as
defined above or be of nonchildbearing potential (post-menopausal or surgically
- Patients must be willing and able to comply with scheduled visits, treatment plan,
laboratory tests, and other study procedures.
- Patients must consent in writing to participate in the study.
- Patients who cannot discontinue the use of other pain medications during the screening
period and during the study.
- Disqualifying scores on questionnaires.
- Other moderate to severe pain from other conditions.
- History of allergic or anaphylactic reaction to antibodies.
- Use of biologics, including any live vaccines within 3 months of the week prior to the
- Unable to use acetaminophen.
- Disqualify laboratory values, Hepatitis B or C or HIV.
- Patients that have had a stroke or TIAs, dementia, epilepsy or seizures, or peripheral
neuropathy from other conditions.
- Significant cardiac disease within 3 months of the study such as angina, heart attack,
congestive heart failure, and other cardiac problems.
- Cancer other than basal cell or squamous cell carcinoma.
- Fails a urine test for illegal drugs including prescription drugs without a
- Plans for surgery during the study.
- History of alcoholism or drug abuse in the past two years.
- Surgery for post-herpetic neuralgia.
- Any condition that the investigator feels would put the safety of the patient at risk.