- The patient must have or be suspected of having a ventilator-associated pneumonia
(VAP) due to MRSA.
- Patient must be hospitalized for at least 5 days, must be ventilator-dependent ≥ 48
hours prior to screen/baseline, and anticipated to remain on the ventilator for 72
hours after enrollment so follow-up BAL can be performed.
- Clinical picture compatible with pneumonia (acquired during ventilation)
- Chest X Ray at baseline/screen or within 24 hours of initiation of therapy must be
consistent with diagnosis of pneumonia
- Hypersensitivity to linezolid, vancomycin, or one of the excipients in any of these
- Infections due to gram-positive organisms known to be resistant to either of the study
- Any antibiotic used in the treatment of MRSA, such as vancomycin, TMP/SMX, rifampin,
or linezolid, for more than 48 hours prior to patient's enrollment into the study.
- Patients with neutropenia, AIDS, lymphoma or anticipated chemotherapy.
- Patients who have long-term tracheostomy (for more than 60 days). Acute tracheostomy
patients are allowed.