ABOUT THIS STUDY
- Histologically confirmed advanced stage III or IV melanoma with primary origin in mucosal, acral-lentiginous, or chronic sun-damaged skin. Advanced disease is defined as locally recurrent disease or metastatic disease not amenable to surgical therapy. Patients may enter tumor-testing phase even if they do not have recurrent disease.
- Aberration of the KIT gene or KIT receptor on in-vitro testing of their tumor tissue.
- Evidence of measurable disease by RECIST criteria [Appendix 2]. Bone lesions, ascites, peritoneal carcinomatosis or miliary lesions, pleural or pericardial effusions, lymphangitis of the skin or lung, cystic lesions, or irradiated lesions are not considered measurable.
- Resolution of all acute toxic effects of prior chemotherapy, immunotherapy, radiotherapy or surgical procedures to NCI CTCAE Version 3.0 grade ≤1.
- Adequate organ function
- ECOG performance status 0 or 1.
- Major surgery or radiation therapy within 2 weeks of starting the study treatment.
Prior palliative radiotherapy to metastatic lesion(s) is permitted, provided there is
at least one measurable lesion that has not been irradiated.
- NCI CTCAE Version 3.0 grade 3 hemorrhage within 4 weeks of starting the study
- Diagnosis of any second malignancy within the last 2 years, except for adequately
treated basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell skin cancer, localized prostate cancer, or
in situ cervical cancer.
- Active brain metastases, spinal cord compression, or evidence of symptomatic brain or
leptomeningeal carcinomatosis on screening CT or MRI scan. Patients who have had
central nervous system metastases treated by surgery or radiation therapy and with
those CNS metastases considered in control will be eligible, provided measurable
disease outside the CNS is present.
- Any of the following within the 2 months prior to study drug administration:
myocardial infarction, severe/unstable angina, coronary/peripheral artery bypass
graft, symptomatic congestive heart failure, cerebrovascular accident or transient
ischemic attack, or pulmonary embolism.
- Ongoing cardiac dysrhythmias of NCI CTCAE Version 3.0 grade > 2.
- Prolonged QTc interval on baseline EKG (>450 msec for males or >470 msec for females)
- Uncontrolled hypertension (> 160/100 mm hg despite optimal medical therapy).
- Concurrent treatment on another clinical trial. Supportive care trials or
non-treatment trials, e.g., QOL, are allowed.
- Ongoing treatment with therapeutic doses of warfarin (low dose warfarin up to 2 mg po
daily for thromboprophylaxis is allowed).
- Pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Life expectancy less than 3 months.
TRY A NEW SEARCH
Search for Clinical Trials by condition, keyword or trial number. Share your location or enter your city or zip code to find studies near you.
Based on your search, you may also be interested in
- San Francisco, California
- Los Angeles, California