ABOUT THIS STUDY
1. Male and female participants greater than or equal to (>=) 18 years of age.
2. Participants must have undergone an orthopedic procedure (that is, total knee or hip replacement, spinal fusion, or reduction of fracture(s) with or without surgical fixation post trauma).
3. Participants must be receiving opioid analgesics (a mu agonist only-not to include agents with mixed mechanisms of action such as tramadol or buprenorphine) after the procedures and be expected to require daily opioid analgesics for at least 7 days post randomization.
4. Participants must be acutely constipated following their orthopedic procedure.
5. Participants must receive all doses of study drug in either hospitals or rehabilitation facilities.
6. Participants must sign an informed consent form.
7. Females of childbearing potential must have a negative pregnancy test and use appropriate birth control throughout the study.
8. Body weight within range of 40 kilograms (kg) - 150 kg (88 - 330 pounds [lbs]).
1. Participants with known hypersensitivity to methylnaltrexone, naltrexone, or naloxone.
2. Participants who received any investigational new drug (experimental) in the previous
3. Participants who have received a laxative (for example, lactulose) or an enema within
48 hours prior to the first dose.
4. Participants with constipation not attributed to post procedure opioids.
5. Participants with a history of alcohol or prescription or non-prescription drug abuse
within the past 2 years.
6. Female participants who are pregnant or lactating.
7. Participants with a known history of chronic active hepatitis B or hepatitis C virus
or human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection.
TRY A NEW SEARCH
Search for Clinical Trials by condition, keyword or trial number. Share your location or enter your city or zip code to find studies near you.
Based on your search, you may also be interested in
- Tarrytown, New York