- Diagnosis of schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder.
- Inpatients with acute exacerbation of psychotic symptoms.
- Patients with a minimum score of 40 on the BPRS scale (1-7).
- Concurrent treatment with antipsychotic agents at study drug initiation (within 12
hours prior to study drug initiation); for depot agents a period of two weeks or one
cycle, whichever is the longer, must occur between last administration and study drug
- Treatment with antidepressants or mood stabilizers within 7 days of start of
- Patients currently receiving clozapine.
- Patients at immediate risk of committing harm to self or others.