- Histologically or cytologically confirmed diagnosis of adeno-, large cell or
bronchioalveolar non-small cell lung cancer
- Cytologic specimens for diagnosis or for cell type classification must have been
obtained from bronchial brushings or washings or from needle aspiration of a defined
lesion. Sputum cytology alone will not be acceptable for diagnosis or for cell type
- Patients with mixed NSCLC with predominantly squamous cell carcinoma should be
classified as squamous and thus do not qualify for this study.
- Stage IIIB with malignant effusion (with cytologic confirmation of malignant pleural
or pericardial effusion), Stage IV, or recurrent disease after definitive
- Candidate for primary treatment with cisplatin and pemetrexed
- Any histological/cytological evidence of predominantly squamous NSCLC.
- Small cell or carcinoid lung cancer patients are also ineligible.
- NSCLC that cannot be classified as one of the eligible histologies (adenocarcinoma,
large cell or bronchioalveolar).
- Prior systemic therapy for Stage IIIB (with malignant effusion), Stage IV, or
recurrent NSCLC. (Prior treatment with systemic therapy as adjuvant chemotherapy or
in conjunction with radiotherapy for Stage II or III NSCLC is permitted if the last
dose of chemotherapy was completed 12 months or more prior to randomization).
- Prior treatment with a VEGF or VEGFR inhibitor.