- Outpatient men and women, between the ages of 18 to 75 years, fluent in both written
and spoken English.
- Employed for 20 hours or more for a minimum of 1 month prior to baseline.
- Primary diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder with symptoms for at least 30 days
prior to baseline.
- Treatment with desvenlafaxine succinate sustained release at any time in the past
and/or venlafaxine (Effexor or Effexor XR) 1 year prior to baseline.
- Treatment-resistant defined as any of the following failed treatments in the past 3
years: 3 or more previous adequate trials of >=2 classes of antidepressant medication,
electroconvulsive therapy, or psychotherapy (2 adequate trials).
- Current (within 12 months prior to the screening visit) psychoactive substance abuse
or dependence (including alcohol), manic episode, posttraumatic stress disorder,
obsessive-compulsive disorder, or a lifetime diagnosis of bipolar or psychotic
- Clinically important abnormalities on physical examination, electrocardiogram (ECG),
or laboratory evaluations.