- Adult, outpatient with primary diagnosis of Major Depressive Disorder (depressive
symptoms for at least 30 days prior to screening)
- Hamilton Psychiatric Rating Scale for Depression (HAM-D 17) total score of >= 20
- Clinical Global Impressions Scale-Severity (CGI-S) score of >= 4.
- Significant risk of suicide as assessed by clinician judgment, HAM-D17 and Columbia
Suicide-Severity Rating Scale scores.
- Past treatment with desvenlafaxine succinate sustained release.
- Other eligibility criteria also apply.