- Are men and women ≥ 50 years of age with a diagnosis of Alzheimers disease.
- Have a Mini-Mental State Exam between 5 and 14 inclusive.
- Have been taking the medication memantine (ie., Namenda) for at least six months prior
to this study.
- Must have a caregiver who assists the patient at least five days per week for at least
three hours per day, who can accompany patient to study visits, and who has an
intimate knowledge of the patient's health states and personal care.
- Have taken medicines for Alzheimers disease other than memantine (e.g., donepezil,
rivastigmine, galantamine, tacrine) within 2 months prior to this study.
- Dementia other than Alzheimers disease.
- Any medical condition or reason that interferes with the ability of the patient to
participate in or complete the trial or places the patient at undue risk, as judged by
the study doctor.