1. Male and female subjects, age greater than or equal to 18 years of age.
2. Females should be either of non-childbearing potential as a result of surgery,
radiation therapy, menopause (one year post onset), or of childbearing potential and
willing to adhere to an acceptable method of pregnancy prevention.
3. Subjects must be newly diagnosed, symptomatic proximal deep-vein thrombosis of the
lower extremity, pulmonary embolism, or both.
4. Subjects must have active malignancy defined as a diagnosis of cancer (excluding basal
cell or squamous cell carcinoma of the skin) within six months before enrollment,
having received any treatment for cancer within the previous six months, or having
documented recurrent or metastatic cancer.
5. Prior to enrollment, subjects must not have received therapeutic doses of
anticoagulant therapy (including low molecular weight heparin [LMWH]) for >48 hours
(or >4 doses within 48 hours).
6. Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status of 0, 1 or 2.
7. Subjects must have a life expectancy of >6 months.
8. Subjects must have a platelet count of >75,000 mm^3.
9. The subject must not be on any oral anticoagulant therapy for concomitant diseases.
10. Subjects must have no active or serious bleeding episodes within two weeks prior to
11. Subjects must be able to comply with scheduled follow-ups.
1. Subjects who have a high risk of serious bleeding (e.g., recent neurosurgery within 30
days, history of intracranial hemorrhage, acute gastroduodenal ulcer, etc.).
2. Subjects who are on hemodialysis.
3. Subjects who have a prior placement of a Greenfield filter or other device to prevent
embolization of deep vein thromboses.
4. Subjects with a known contraindication to the use of heparin (e.g., heparin-induced
5. Subjects with a known hypersensitivity to heparin, dalteparin sodium, other LMWHs or
6. Subjects who are currently participating in another clinical trial involving
anticoagulation therapy (with the exception of acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) in the 30
days prior to study entry, or who are actively using any investigational
drugs/treatments 30 days prior to study entry involving anticoagulation therapy (with
the exception of ASA , t.i.d).
7. Subject is pregnant or breast feeding.
8. Subjects with uncontrolled hypertension characterized by a sustained systolic pressure
>170 mmHg and/or diastolic pressure >100 mmHg.
9. Subjects with a serious concomitant systemic disorder (for example, active infection
including HIV or cardiac disease) that in the opinion of the investigator, would
compromise the subject's ability to complete the study.
10. Any condition that makes the subject unsuitable in the opinion of the investigator.
11. Subjects with leukemia or myeloproliferative syndrome.