- Patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus who are taking stable doses of metformin only.
Subjects treated with a sulfonylurea (SU) or a dipeptidyl peptidase-IV inhibitor
(DPP-IVi) in combination with metformin may be eligible if washed off the SU or
DPP-IVi to metformin only for a minimum of 4 weeks before dosing.
- Male and/or female subjects (females will be women of non childbearing potential)
between the ages of 18 and 65 years, inclusive, with a body mass index (BMI) of 18.5
to 45.0 kg/m2 and C-peptide >0.8 ng/mL.
- Screening and Day -2 troponin I concentration =0.05 ng/mL as measured by the Bayer
Centaur Ultra assay.
- HbA1c >/=7% and =11%. If the patient requires to be washed off an SU or DPP-IVi, the
HbA1c limits will be >/=7% and =9.5%.
- Evidence or history of clinically significant hematological, renal, endocrine,
pulmonary, gastrointestinal, cardiovascular, hepatic, psychiatric, neurologic, or
allergic disease (including drug allergies, but excluding untreated, asymptomatic,
seasonal allergies at time of dosing).
- Evidence or history of diabetic complications with significant end organ damage, eg,
proliferative retinopathy and/or macular edema, creatinine clearance =60 mL/min
based on the Cockcroft-Gault equation, diabetic neuropathy complicated by neuropathic
- History of stroke, transient ischemic attack, or myocardial infarction within the past
6 months. Additionally, history of coronary artery bypass graft or stent implantation,
clinically significant peripheral vascular disease, or congestive heart failure (NYHA
Classes II-IV). Furthermore, a current history of angina/unstable angina. Also, 12
lead electrocardiogram (ECG) demonstrating QTc >450 msec at screening, ECG findings
suggestive of asymptomatic myocardial ischemia, or supine blood pressure >/=160 mm Hg
(systolic) or =100 mm Hg (diastolic).
- One or more self reported episodes of hypoglycemia within the last 3 months, or two or
more self reported episodes of hypoglycemia within the last 6 months.
- Screening or Day -2 fasting (>/=8 hours) blood glucose, =70 or >/=270 mg/dL,
confirmed by a single repeat if deemed necessary.