- Male or female cigarette smokers, 18-75 years, motivated to stop smoking and
considered suitable for a smoking cessation attempt
- Smoked an average of at least 10 cigarettes per day during past year and over past
month, and exhaled carbon monoxide (CO) > 10 ppm at screening
- Current or past diagnosis of MDD without psychotic features, either single or
recurrent, using DSM IV TR based on clinical assessment and confirmed by SCID and at
least one of the following:
- On stable antidepressant treatment for MDD (stable dose for at least 2 months)
- Major depressive episode, using DSM IV TR, in the past 2 years successfully treated
- Current or past diagnosis of dementia, schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, or
other psychotic disorder, bipolar I disorder, bipolar II disorder.
- Subjects with antisocial, schizotypal, or any other personality disorder severe enough
to compromise the subject's ability to comply with the study requirements..
- Current use of either bupropion or nortryptiline.