ABOUT THIS STUDY
- Fifty informed and consenting patients for cardiac valve surgery with CPB , greater than 50 years of age and under the care of one or more of the investigators or consultants will be prospectively enrolled over a one-year period (plus one-year for follow-up).
- Patients with a history of the following disease entities will be excluded:
- symptomatic cerebrovascular disease with substantial residual deficit, alcohol
abuse, psychiatric illness, renal failure (creatinine>2.0),
- hepatic dysfunction (ALT or AST > 1.5 x ULN), history of allergy or myopathy with
statin therapy, pregnant or breastfeeding women or other comorbidities that in
the opinion of the investigator could limit patient participation. Exclusion
criteria are designed to limit confounding and enhance differentiation of
deficits related to surgery and or treatment.
- Patients who are unable to read and thus unable to complete the neurocognitive
testing will also be excluded.
- Patients having concomitant carotid endarterectomy or other vascular surgery will
also be excluded to provide a more homogeneous sample for comparison.
TRY A NEW SEARCH
Search for Clinical Trials by condition, keyword or trial number. Share your location or enter your city or zip code to find studies near you.
Based on your search, you may also be interested in
- Durham, North Carolina