ABOUT THIS STUDY
- Subjects will be nicotine dependent, males and females of any ethnic origin between 21 and 45 years old.
- Meet DSM-IV criteria for nicotine dependence,
- Smoke ≥10 cigarettes/day, Baseline FTND score ≥4, CO level ≥10 and are motivated to quit within 30 days of initial intake.
- Treatment seeking smokers that are willing to use varenicline as a treatment approach for their smoking cessation attempt
- No previous use of medication for smoking cessation in previous month prior inclusion.
- Pregnancy (a urine pregnancy test will be performed before each PET in women)
- Trying to become pregnant or breastfeeding;
- Have abused alcohol or other drugs of abuse (cocaine, opiates, benzodiazepines, etc)
in 3 months prior to randomization.
- Presence of metal objects in the body (e.g. some artificial joints, bone pins,
surgical clips, skull plate, certain part of dental braces) or implanted electronic
devices (e.g. cardiac pacemaker, neurostimulator), that preclude safe MR scanning.
- Cardiovascular or cerebrovascular diseases.
- Major psychiatric disorders including mood, anxiety or psychotic disorders with
historical evidence of suicidal or homicidal behaviour.
- History of or current neurological illnesses including seizure disorders, migraine,
multiple sclerosis, movement disorders, head trauma, CVA or CNS tumor. Gross
structural brain abnormalities as revealed by T1 weighted images.
- Current use or use during the previous month of medication that may affect the CNS at
the time of scanning (including illicit and non-illicit psychoactive drugs).
- Learning disability, amnesia or other conditions that impede memory and attention.
- Allergy to varenicline.
- Renal insufficiency.
- Use of other smoking cessation aids
TRY A NEW SEARCH
Search for Clinical Trials by condition, keyword or trial number. Share your location or enter your city or zip code to find studies near you.
Based on your search, you may also be interested in
- San Francisco, California
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- New York, New York
- Durham, North Carolina