1. Healthy Japanese male and female adults aged 65 years old and older at time of
enrollment. Subjects with preexisting stable disease, defined as disease not requiring
significant change in therapy or hospitalization for worsening disease 12 weeks before
receipt of the study vaccine, are eligible.
2. Male and female subjects of childbearing potential must agree to use a highly
effective method of contraception throughout the study or for at least 28 days after
the last dose of the study vaccine whichever is longer.
1. History of severe adverse reaction including hypersensitivity such as anaphylaxis
associated with a vaccine or vaccine component.
2. Previous vaccination with any licensed or experimental pneumococcal vaccine.
3. Documented Streptococcus pneumoniae infection within the past 5 years.
4. Residence in a nursing home, long-term care facility, or other institution or
requirement of semiskilled nursing care.