- 18 to 90 years of age inclusive
- Females can participate if surgically sterile or completed menopause; if able to have
children, must have negative serum pregnancy test, agree not to attempt pregnancy and
use acceptable contraception while receiving study therapy and for 1 week after
- Onset of symptoms ≥ 48 hours after admission or inpatient acute or chronic care facility
- New or worsening infiltrate on chest X-ray obtained within 48 hours prior to
- At least 1 of the following systemic signs:Fever (temperature >38 C) or hypothermia
(rectal/core temperature 10,000 cells/mm3, or White
blood cell count 15% band forms.
- Pulmonary disease that, in the investigator's judgment, would preclude evaluation of
therapeutic response (e.g. lung cancer, active tuberculosis, cystic fibrosis,
granulomatous disease, fungal pulmonary infection or recent pulmonary embolism).
- Patients with lung abscess, pleural empyema or post obstructive pneumonia.
- Patients with an estimated creatinine clearance
or patients expected to require haemodialysis or other renal support while on study
- Acute hepatitis in the prior 6 months, cirrhosis, acute hepatic failure or acute
decompensation of chronic hepatic failure.
- Patients receiving hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis.