- Subjects aged 1 to 16 years who in the judgment of the investigator are candidates for
gastric acid suppression therapy (ie, those with a presumptive diagnosis of GERD, a
clinical diagnosis of suspected GERD, symptomatic GERD, or endoscopically proven GERD)
and whom the investigator judges would need to receive IV PPI therapy for at least 4
- Body weight > 5th percentile for age.
- Y-site or dedicated IV line for administration of pantoprazole sodium.
- Expected survival for at least 30 days.
- Fertile male and female subjects of childbearing potential at risk for pregnancy must
agree to use a highly effective method of contraception throughout the study and for
at least 28 days after the last dose of assigned treatment. Female subjects of
non-childbearing potential must be premenarchal, have undergone hysterectomy with
bilateral oophorectomy, have medically confirmed ovarian failure, or achieved
- Participation in other studies involving investigational drug(s) or treatment with an
investigational drug within 30 days or 5 half lives prior to study entry and/or during
- Other severe acute or chronic medical or psychiatric condition or laboratory
abnormality that may increase the risk associated with study participation or
investigational product administration or may interfere with the interpretation of
study results and, in the judgment of the investigator, would make the subject
inappropriate for entry into this study.
- Pregnant females; breastfeeding females; fertile male subjects, and female subjects of
childbearing potential who are unwilling or unable to use a highly effective method of
contraception for the duration of the study and for at least 28 days after last dose
of investigational product.
- Serum CK levels >3x ULN.
- Known history of HIV or clinical manifestations of AIDS.
- Known hypersensitivity to PPIs or to any substituted benzimidazole or to any of the
- History of treatment with any PPI within 2 days (48 hours) before investigational
product dosing on Day 1.
- Use of H2RAs, sucralfate, misoprostol, or prokinetic agents, and bismuth preparations
within 1 day (24 hours) before investigational product dosing on Day 1.
- Any disorder requiring chronic (every day) use of warfarin, carbamazepine, or
phenytoin, methotrexate, atazanavir or nelfinavir, clopidogrel, and potent inhibitors
and inducers of CYP2C19.
- Chronic (daily) use of glucocorticoids. Steroid inhalers and topical steroids may be
- Active malignancy of any type, or history of a malignancy (Subject with a history of
malignancies that have been surgically removed or eradicated by irradiation or
chemotherapy and who have no evidence of recurrence for at least 5 years before
Screening are acceptable).
- ALT or BUN >2.0 ULN or estimated creatinine >1.5 X ULN for age or any other laboratory
abnormality considered by the Investigator to be clinically significant within 14 days
- In the Investigator's opinion, a chronic condition (eg, diabetes, epilepsy), which is
either not stable or well controlled and may interfere with the conduct of the study.
- History of sensitivity to heparin or heparin induced thrombocytopenia.