ABOUT THIS STUDY
- Male or female, 18 to 75 years of age, inclusive.
- Clinical diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis:
- Willing to stop existing NSAID/COX-2 inhibitor treatment for up to two weeks.
- Having given written informed consent to participate in the trial.
- Pain intensity ≥ 40 mm on the visual analog scale, worsening by at least 30 % compared to that recorded at the screening visit.
- Last administration of analgesic without anti-inflammatory activity is ≥ 8 h, the last administration of long-acting NSAIDs is ≥ 72 h
- Patients with acute peripheral articular disease (defined by the onset within 4 weeks
prior to visit
- Known inflammatory enteropathy (e.g. ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease).
- Ongoing extra-articular signs (e.g. cardiac involvement).
- Current painful vertebral compression.
- Requirement to start physiotherapy, re-education or manipulation
- History of clinical gastroduodenal ulcer in the year preceding inclusion, confirmed by
endoscopy; continuing gastro-intestinal bleeding.
- Cardiac failure or known renal insufficiency that could be affected by study
medication, chronic or acute hepatic insufficiency, significant coagulation disorders
or history of asthma.
- Current or history of malignancy (except: patients having a basal cell carcinoma or
other malignancy operated on and in remission for 5 years before inclusion in the
- Pregnancy, women of childbearing potential not using adequate contraceptive methods or
- Subject who has evidence of alcohol or drug abuse.
- Participation in any other clinical study within 30 days prior to the screening visit.
- Any condition that would prevent the patient from entering the study, according to the
- Known hypersensitivity to celecoxib, sulphonamides or any NSAID (including salicylic
- Taking the following medications: Muscle relaxants, hypnotic, anxiolytics, sedatives,
tranquillizers or antidepressants (unless stable for 2 weeks before screening and
continuing throughout the trial), NSAIDs or COX-2 inhibitors other than study
medication, acetylsalicylic acid (ASA) > 160 mg /day, anti-coagulants, ticlopidine,
lithium, anti-TNF agents or methotrexate > 15 mg/week (Note: ASA ≤ 160 mg/day for
cardioprotection is permitted), Use of oral or systemic analgesic medication, except
from paracetamol, within 3 days of study entry and through the study, Corticosteroids
(PO/IM/IV/IA) in the 6 weeks preceding inclusion in the trial, Anti-ulcer medication
including chronic (daily or almost daily) use of antacids [Note: Occasional use of
antacids during the study will be permitted.]
- Change in dose of a slow-acting drug (e.g. sulfasalazin, methotrexate) in the past 60
days preceding inclusion in the trial.
- Taking paracetamol > 2000 mg/day (including during the screening period).
TRY A NEW SEARCH
Search for Clinical Trials by condition, keyword or trial number. Share your location or enter your city or zip code to find studies near you.
Based on your search, you may also be interested in
- Los Angeles, California
- Chicago, Illinois
- Omaha, Nebraska
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Portland, Oregon
- Charleston, South Carolina
- Spokane, Washington
- Edmonton, Alberta
- Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Mississauga, Ontario
- Trois-Rivieres, Quebec
- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
- Guangzhou, Guangdong
- Bærum Postterminal,
- Gamle Fredrikstad,
- Mo I Rana,