ABOUT THIS STUDY
- Asian participants ≥18 years of age at the time of initial Screening.
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus as per American Diabetes Association guidelines.
- Metformin monotherapy (≥1500 mg/day) with an initial Screening A1C of 7.0-10.5% (53-91 mmol/mol) OR metformin monotherapy (<1500 mg/day) with an initial Screening A1C of 7.5-11.0% (58-97 mmol/mol) OR dual combination therapy with metformin + sulfonylurea, dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DDP-4) inhibitor, meglitinide, or alpha-glucosidase inhibitor with an initial Screening A1C of 6.5-9.5% (48-80 mmol/mol).
- Body mass index (BMI) ≥18.0 kg/m^2.
- Male or female not of reproductive potential.
- Female of reproductive potential who agrees to remain abstinent from heterosexual activity or to use 2 acceptable combinations of contraception.
- History of type 1 diabetes mellitus or a history of ketoacidosis.
- History of other specific types of diabetes (e.g., genetic syndromes, secondary
pancreatic diabetes, diabetes due to endocrinopathies, drug- or chemical-induced, and
- History of myocardial infarction, unstable angina, arterial revascularization, stroke,
transient ischemic attack, or New York Heart Association (NYHA) functional class
III-IV heart failure within 3 months of study start.
- Mean value for triplicate screening sitting systolic blood pressure >160 mm Hg and/or
diastolic blood pressure >90 mm Hg after at least a 5-minute seated rest at screening
- Active, obstructive uropathy or indwelling urinary catheter.
- History of malignancy ≤5 years prior to study start, except for adequately treated
basal cell or squamous cell skin cancer or in situ cervical cancer.
- Routinely consumes >2 alcoholic drinks per day or >14 alcoholic drinks per week or
engages in binge drinking.
- Any clinically significant malabsorption condition.
- Is on a weight-loss program or weight-loss medication or other medication associated
with weight changes and is not weight stable prior to study start.
- Has undergone bariatric surgery within the past 12 months or >12 months and is not
weight stable prior to study start.
- A known hypersensitivity or intolerance to any sodium glucose co-transporter (SGLT2)
- On a previous clinical study with ertugliflozin.
- Is taking blood pressure or lipid altering medications that have not been on a stable
dose for at least 4 weeks prior to study start.
- Current treatment for hyperthyroidism.
- Male participants with a serum creatinine >=1.3 mg/dL (>=115 mol/L) or female
participants with a serum creatinine >=1.2 mg/dL (>=106 mol/L) or participants with an
estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) <55 mL/min/1.73m^2 according to the
4-variable Modification of Diet in Renal Disease (MDRD) equation at screening.
- An aspartate transaminase (AST) or alanine transaminase (ALT) >2X the upper limit of
normal (ULN) range at screening, or a total bilirubin >1.5 X the ULN unless the
participant has a history of Gilbert's.
- On thyroid replacement therapy and has not been on a stable dose for at least 6 weeks
prior to study start.
- A medical history of active liver disease (other than non-alcoholic hepatic
steatosis), including chronic active hepatitis B or C, primary biliary cirrhosis, or
symptomatic gallbladder disease.
- Has been treated with any of the following agents within 12 weeks of study start or
during the pre-randomization period: Insulin of any type (except for short-term use
during concomitant illness or other stress), other injectable anti-hyperglycemic
agents (e.g., pramlintide, exenatide, liraglutide), another SGLT2 inhibitor,
bromocriptine, colesevelam, rosiglitazone or pioglitazone, or any other AHA with the
exception of the protocol-approved agents.
- Is on or likely to require treatment ≥14 consecutive days or repeated courses of
pharmacologic doses of corticosteroids.
- Has undergone a surgical procedure within 6 weeks prior to study start or has planned
major surgery during the study.
- Pregnant or breast-feeding, or planning to conceive during the trial, including 14
days following the last dose of study medication.
- Planning to undergo hormonal therapy in preparation for egg donation during the trial,
including 14 days following the last dose of study medication.
- Donated blood or blood products within 6 weeks of study start.
- Has Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV).
- Has blood dyscrasias or any disorders causing hemolysis or unstable red blood cells.
- Has clinically important hematological disorders (such as aplastic anemia,
myeloproliferative or myelodyplastic syndromes, thrombocytopenia.)
TRY A NEW SEARCH
Search for Clinical Trials by condition, keyword or trial number. Share your location or enter your city or zip code to find studies near you.
Based on your search, you may also be interested in
- Hachioji, Tokyo