ABOUT THIS STUDY
Participants must be willing to:
- Consume a multivitamin/mineral supplement or placebo tablet each day during the 6-month study period
- Fill out online food frequency questionnaires
- Refrain from taking dietary supplements (vitamins, minerals, certain antacids, energy drinks, fortified cereals, or nutritional shakes) other than those provided during the study, with an exception for vitamin D. Users of multivitamin supplements must agree to avoid taking these supplements for two months before the study begins.
- Refrain from taking acid-blockers during the course of the study.
- Wear an activity monitor about the wrist continuously for two one-week periods, except when exposed to water, before and during multivitamin supplementation.
- Give blood samples on 3 separate occasions
- Participate in cognitive testing procedures
- Currently taking supplements as recommended/ordered by a physician to correct a
nutritional deficiency, with an exception for vitamin D supplements
- Current or recent (two years) history of smoking (tobacco or marijuana)
- Dysphagia or difficulty swallowing.
- Bariatric (gastric bypass) surgery or serious chronic illness that might affect
absorption of multivitamins or minerals such as Crohn's disease, unmanaged celiac
disease, chronic diarrhea, ulcerative colitis, gastritis, or a diagnosis of
- A diagnosis of cancer with chemotherapy or radiation treatment during the previous 5
- Major surgery in the past 6 months or planned major surgery during the duration of the
- Prior heart attack, stroke, or heart failure.
- Uncontrolled stage II hypertension (blood pressure above 159/99 mm Hg).
- A current diagnosis of kidney, liver, or thyroid disease.
- Diabetes (Type 1 or Type 2).
- History of hypoglycemia or low blood sugar.
- Hb1ac levels > 6.4%.
- Current use of certain drugs to control blood sugar, thyroid medications, anti-seizure
medication, anxiolytics, or antidepressants (see Post-Screen Drug Review).
- BMI < 18.5 or > 35
- History of psychological or neurological disorders, or a diagnosis of dementia.
- Head injury with loss of consciousness of > 5 minutes in the last 5 years.
- Chronic Migraines - More than fifteen headache days per month over a three month
period of which more than eight are migraines.
- Score < 26 on the mini-mental state exam.
- Present treatment for drug or alcohol problems.
- Habit of taking three or more alcoholic drinks per day.
- Corrected visual acuity worse than 20/50.
- Anyone who cannot handwrite a letter or move a computer joystick with one of their
- Cannot hear well enough to understand spoken instructions.
TRY A NEW SEARCH
Search for Clinical Trials by condition, keyword or trial number. Share your location or enter your city or zip code to find studies near you.
Based on your search, you may also be interested in
- Corvallis, Oregon