ABOUT THIS STUDY
- Patients must be premenopausal. Patients with a hysterectomy: menopausal status must be confirmed by estradiol and FSH.
- Operable hormonal receptor (HR) positive (ER/PR greater than or equal to 10%), HER2- negative, invasive early breast cancer, suitable for neoadjuvant AI treatment and ovarian suppression; HR- positive and HER2-negative as determined by American Society of Clinical Oncology/College of American Pathologists (ASCO-CAP ) guidelines.
- Diagnostic breast tissue must have an Oncotype DX Breast Recurrence Score® of less than 26 as determined by Genomic Health, Inc.
- No known severe hypersensitivity reactions to compounds similar to palbociclib or palbociclib excipients or to endocrine treatments.
- A breast tumor with an ultrasound size of at least 2.0 cm.
- Patients must have the ability to swallow oral medication.
- ECOG performance status of 0 or 1.
- At the time of randomization, blood counts performed within 2 weeks prior to randomization must meet the following criteria:
- ANC must be greater than or equal to 1500/mm3
- Platelet count must be greater than or equal to 100,000/mm3
- Hemoglobin must be greater than or equal to 10g/dL.
- INR must be within normal limits of the local laboratory ranges. For laboratories that do not report an ULN for the INR assay, use less than or equal to 1.2 as the value for the ULN.
- The following criteria for evidence of adequate hepatic function performed within 2 weeks prior to study entry must be met:
- Total bilirubin must be less than or equal to ULN for the lab unless the patient has a bilirubin elevation greater than ULN to 1.5 x ULN due to Gilbert's disease or similar syndrome involving slow conjugation of bilirubin; and
- Alkaline phosphatase must be must be less than or equal to 1.5 x ULN for the lab; and
- AST and ALT must be less than or equal to 1.5 x ULN for the lab.
- Serum creatinine performed within 2 weeks prior to study entry must be less than or equal to 1.25 x ULN or estimated creatinine clearance greater than or equal to 60 mL/min (as calculated using the method standard for the institutions).
- Active hepatitis B or hepatitis C with abnormal liver function tests.
- HIV positive patients receiving antivirals.
- Inflammatory/inoperable breast cancer.
- HER2-positive as determined using ASCO-CAP Guidelines.
- Oncotype Dx Breast Recurrence Score® result on diagnostic breast tissue greater than
or equal to 26.
- Prior endocrine therapy for breast cancer.
- Any invasive malignancy within previous 5 years (other than basal cell carcinoma or
cervical carcinoma in situ).
- Other nonmalignant systemic disease that would preclude the patient from receiving
study treatment or would prevent required follow up such as:
- Active infection or chronic infection requiring chronic suppressive antibiotics;
- Malabsorption syndrome, ulcerative colitis, inflammatory bowel disease, resection
of the stomach or small bowel, or other disease or condition significantly
affecting gastrointestinal function;
- Chronic daily treatment with corticosteroids with a dose of greater than or equal
to 10 mg/day methylprednisolone equivalent (excluding inhaled steroids);
- Seizure disorders requiring medication.
- Diagnosis by fine needle aspiration (FNA) alone or excisional biopsy or lumpectomy
performed prior to study entry.
- Surgical axillary staging procedure prior to study procedure (with exception of FNA or
- Definitive clinical or radiologic evidence of metastatic disease.
- History of ipsilateral invasive breast cancer regardless of treatment or ipsilateral
DCIS treated with radiotherapy or contralateral invasive breast cancer at any time.
- Any treatment, including radiotherapy, chemotherapy, and/or targeted therapy,
administered for the currently diagnosed breast cancer prior to study entry.
- Use of any medication or substances that are strong inhibitors or inducers of CYP3A
isoenzymes. Class III or Class IV myocardial disease as described by the New York
Heart Association; a recent history (within 6 months) of myocardial infarction, or
symptomatic arrhythmia at the time of randomization.
- Class III: Patients with cardiac disease resulting in marked limitation of
physical activity. Such patients are comfortable at rest. Less than ordinary
physical activity that causes fatigue, palpitation, dyspnea, or anginal pain.
- Class IV: Patients with cardiac disease resulting in inability to perform any
physical activity without discomfort. Symptoms of cardiac insufficiency or
anginal syndrome may be present even at rest.
- The investigator should assess the patient to determine if she has any psychiatric or
addictive disorder or other condition that, in the opinion of the investigator, would
preclude her from meeting the study requirements.
TRY A NEW SEARCH
Search for Clinical Trials by condition, keyword or trial number. Share your location or enter your city or zip code to find studies near you.
Based on your search, you may also be interested in
- Washington, District of Columbia
- Baltimore, Maryland
- Badalona, Barcelona