ABOUT THIS STUDY
1. Male or female participants older than 18 years
2. Laboratory-confirmed novel coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) infection as determined by polymerase chain reaction (PCR) or other commercially available or public health assay prior to Day 1.
3. Evidence of pneumonia assessed by radiographic imaging (chest x-ray or chest CT scan).
4. Hospitalized and receiving supportive care for COVID-19
1. Require non-invasive ventilation, invasive mechanical ventilation, or extracorporeal
membrane oxygenation (ECMO) on Day 1 at the time of randomization
2. History of or known current thrombosis. Only if current thrombosis is suspected by the
investigator, imaging testing is recommended (per local guidance) to exclude
3. Have a personal or first-degree family history of blood clotting disorders.
4. Participants who are immunocompromised, with known immunodeficiencies, or taking
potent immunosuppressive agents (eg, azathioprine, cyclosporine).
5. Participants with any current malignancy or lymphoproliferative disorders that
requires active treatment
6. Severe hepatic impairment, defined as Child-Pugh class C.
7. Severe anemia (hemoglobin <8 g/dL).
8. Absolute lymphocyte count <500 cells/mm;
9. Absolute neutrophil count <1000 cells/mm.
10. Known allergy to tofacitinib.
11. Other medical or psychiatric condition including recent (within the past year) or
active suicidal ideation/behavior or laboratory abnormality that may increase the risk
associated with study participation or, in the investigator's judgment, make the
participant inappropriate for the study.
12. Suspected or known active systemic bacterial, fungal, or viral infections (with the
exception of COVID-19) including but not limited to: active herpes zoster infection;
known active tuberculosis or history of inadequately treated tuberculosis; known B
hepatitis, C hepatitis, or HIV.
13. Have received any of these within 4 weeks prior to the first dose of study
intervention: any JAK inhibitors, potent immunosuppressants, or any biologic agents
including IL-6 inhibitors (eg, tocilizumab) or IL-1 inhibitors (eg, anakinra) within
the past 30 days; any potent cytochrome P450 inducer, such as rifampin, within the
past 28 days or 5 half-lives, whichever is longer.
14. Have received estrogen-containing contraception or treatment with herbal supplements
within 48 hours prior to the first dose of study intervention.
15. Have received treatment with corticosteroids equivalent to prednisone or
methylprednisolone >20 mg/day for equal or more than 14 consecutive days prior to
TRY A NEW SEARCH
Search for Clinical Trials by condition, keyword or trial number. Share your location or enter your city or zip code to find studies near you.
Based on your search, you may also be interested in
- Sao Paulo,